Thursday, February 4, 2010

Thursday morning

I have been told I have gout. An ailment I thought was strictly for old drunken men. I was horrified. I saw my cousins boy friend's big toe when he was having a gout flair up and it had a thing that looked like a mini erupting volcano on his toe. I've never experienced that. Anyway, I have refused to take the gout medicine. Well, my doctor suggested in an email that I get on the gout medicine. We decided for six weeks, I would exercise 30 minutes a day, drink lots of water, keep the sugars down, especially no high fructose corn syrup, and eat healthy. All of this without the medicine. On March 17th, I will have blood drawn and check my uric acid levels. If they are high, like they are now, for six weeks I will do all of the above and take the medicine. At the end of the six weeks, we will check the uric acid levels and see if they are down.

Now, I don't want to take gout medicine. Have read about kidney damage, etc. SO, my challenge is on! I'll need your help. I am frightened. I like sugar, I like all kinds of things that are bad for me. At work we always have something not healthy to munch on. I am not known for my stamina. Thank you all.

2 comments:

  1. You will do great! It's important to you to not take the medicine, so you will do it and I am just a phone call away if you need support! I love you and am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy, you can so do this! We are here for you! I think it's great that you're trying to do this without taking the medicine, especially since it may have such bad side effects. Good luck and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete